Wednesday 8 June 2011

Fudged Fudge

Yes, indeed. Immediately after my predictions of occasional failure, my first one since the creation of this blog has arrived.

My father loves fudge, all kinds of it, although I think he'd be inclined to say that his favourite is maple. He also loves ginger. He also has an predilection for unusual (or at least less common) food combinations. And lo and behold, the other day, I stumbled upon a recipe for maple ginger fudge. With Father's Day on the horizon, I knew I'd found the perfect gift: a box of homemade fudge (hopefully an improvement on the aforementioned toast-applesauce-almond combination). Never having made fudge before, I had my work cut out for me. With YouTube as my trusty sidekick, I researched fudgemaking and watched a few videos (and by that, I mean I opened the pages but didn't actually read what was on them with any great degree of attention). I figured out what sorts of ingredients are always in fudge and which ones are simply about taste or preference, ventured off to the grocery store, and returned with my arms full, ready to take on this difficult (the Internet warned me) project.

How silly I was not to listen. Generally, the whole attempt was successful, except of course the part where it didn't actually turn to fudge. For those of you who don't know, there is a very thin line between glop in a pan and toffee, and that line is called fudge. I fell short of that line. Partly, I blame that result on my lack of candy thermometer, but also my complete ignorance of the soft ball test. Oh well, lesson learned.

Anyway, as a result, the fudge didn't totally set in the fridge. To cut it, I had to stick it in the freezer for about an hour, but even then, it started softening as soon as I started handling it. I think I've just resolved to present my creation to my dad in all its gloppy glory.

At any rate, here's what the fudge looked like at its least sloppy stage:


For what it's worth, the glop is absolutely delicious. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment